An industry leading, boutique transport engineering consultancy
With over 118 years of experience, we are the most established and a leading global authority in the industry, solving the most complex transport-related engineering problems with innovative solutions that drive efficiencies and improve productivity for clients around the world.
We provide a complete range of transport-related engineering services specializing in mining, heavy haulage, materials handling and sugar industries.
How we fit with your company
Whether you’re looking for a comprehensive range of services, or just need consulting advice on improving your company’s productivity, you can draw on the wealth of our engineering experience with confidence to provide the service and solution that’s right for you.
Every company is unique. Every solution is unique. To ensure you receive the best advice for your needs, we conduct a thorough audit and analysis at the outset of every project to ensure we truly understand the problem to be solved. From here we provide you with the best options and our recommended solution. Our expertise in “design to build” ensures that we provide you with technologically advanced yet commercially practical solutions that deliver against your objective, timeframe and budget agreed.
Our OPTIMIZER program, the foundation of every project we deliver, ensures the most efficient and effective outcome possible every time whether it’s a design or manufacturing project, forensic investigation or on-site productivity consultancy.
Why Choose Smith Global?
Proven track record of innovation in design & implementation
The principals of Smith Global bring over 60 years of experience in innovative design and manufacture. We use rigorous and technically advanced methodology to evaluate and design solutions to meet your needs.
Interactive communication with key stakeholders
The key to successful projects is the identification and involvement of key stakeholders. We ensure that all parties are kept fully up to date throughout the project, our interactive communication is embedded in all key stages so that all parties remain committed and engaged throughout.
Comprehensive project management from concept to implementation
Our extensive network established over 100 years in business with numerous suppliers and authorities, locally and internationally, means we are able to select the right partner for the project to meet your needs and extend the role of traditional engineering consultancy through to manufacturing support and single point of contact project management to deliver exceptional value.
Industry-leading innovative solutions that drive productivity improvements
Our proprietary OPTIMIZER program, central to every project we deliver, ensures the most cost-effective outcome possible every time, whether it’s a design and/or manufacturing project, forensic investigation or on-site productivity consultancy.
Designed to provide cost effective manufacturing
Unlike many traditional engineering consultancy firms, our extensive manufacturing experience through J. Smith & Sons means that we also design with optimal efficiencies in manufacture as a central focus of the business.
We have extensive experience solving real-world engineering problems across multiple industries, with a proven record for innovative designs. Our designs have won several awards for innovation, safety & productivity.
Established Network and Connections
With such a long history in the industry, we are THE Go-To company for regulatory compliance on transport-related matters. We have the people connections and networks, as well as a comprehensive understanding of the processes involved to give our clients the confidence in navigating this potentially challenging area.
Global Reach and Exposure
We have successfully completed projects in six continents:
- Australia / Oceania
- North America
- South America.
Smith Global lead the industry with their innovative solutions.
– Tom Freeman, Toll Mining Services
Kerren SmithManaging Director
Kerren is one of the world’s leading experts on mine haulage, transport productivity and heavy vehicle engineering.
Kerren is the Managing Director of Smith Global Pty Ltd, an established engineering consultancy business that has been advising some of the world’s leading companies spread across six continents in mining, heavy haulage transport, materials handling and sugar industries spanning more than four decades.
Since1975, Kerren headed up Production before being appointed Managing Director of J Smith & Sons Pty Ltd in 1993, building on the Company’s reputation as an innovative and leading global transport and mining equipment manufacturing business.
Under Kerren’s leadership, the Company has earnt the respect of some of the largest companies in Australia and around the world, like TOLL, a global logistics network ….
“Smith Global are a valuable strategic partner and significant contributor to our ongoing demand for productivity improvements”
.. and Baffinland Mining, in Canada’s extreme environmental conditions….
“Their analysis enabled us to make the best decisions that ultimately led to an increase in our productivity of operation”
Kerren has been instrumental in leading the team at Smith Global to design and manufacture a number of award-winning innovations for their clients including;
- The first fleet of “B” doubles designed and manufactured in Australia, used for Sugar transport in Queensland.
- Smith’s multi-million dollar investment into Australia’s first powered dolly which doubled the productivity in high tonnage mine haulage which won Australian Mining Award’s “Best Innovation Solution”
- A road transport solution for bulk haulage of sugar cane from field to processing plant which won an “Australian Materials Handling Award”.
- The “FlatPack” car carrying semi-trailer range which significantly improved both safety and productivity which won several awards for WH&S.
Pioneering of remote-controlled functions for the transport industry in the 1980’s
This experience and expertise gained has made Kerren a leading global authority on forensic engineering for the transport and mining industries and has regularly provided consultative services including expert witnessing for the mining, heavy haulage, materials handling and sugar industry.
Kerren’s achievements don’t stop there……….spanning Industry, Government, Education, Community.
- In 2013 was an Ernst & Young “Entrepreneur of the Year” finalist
- For 10 years ending 2012, Kerren was Chairman of the Board for the “Australian Industry and Engineering Manufacturing network”
- Is an experienced Company Director
- In 2011, led the company to win an “Australian Steel Innovation Award” for the Hydrapede Powered Dolly.
- In 2009, was appointed Safety Ambassador for Industry by Qld Government.
- In 2008, was awarded the Paul Harris Fellow for community services.
- In 2007, awarded the Federal Government Ministers Award for excellence in Apprenticeship Training and
“Business Person of the Year” for the local Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2007 was appointed Chairman of Wide Bay TAFE council – a position held until 2013
- In 1991 completed Company Directors Diploma and been a Fellow AICD 1991 to present
…..and his love of Cricket!
Director Brisbane Heat BBL Cricket Franchise 2011-Current
Director Queensland Cricket 2002 – 2017
Chairman Finance Audit & Risk Committee 2012 – 2017
Alternate Director Cricket Australia 2005-2009
President Queensland Junior Cricket 1998-2007 – (Life member)
Kevin McDonnell General Manager, Engineering CPEng, MIEAust, RPEQ (Mechanical and Structural)
Kevin is one of the world’s best mine haulage and heavy vehicle engineers and transport productivity consultants.
Kevin is the General Manager, Engineering at Smith Global Pty Ltd, a globally reputable and established engineering consultancy that has been advising some of the world’s leading companies spread across six continents in mining, heavy haulage transport, materials handling and sugar industries for more than two decades.
Previously Kevin was the Engineering Manager for J Smith & Sons Pty Ltd, which had built its reputation since inception in 1900 as an innovative and leading global transport and mining equipment manufacturing business.
Kevin has been responsible for the development of some of the world’s most advanced highway and mining heavy vehicles.
He has earnt the respect of some of the largest companies in Australia and around the world, like TOLL, a global logistics corporation…..
“Their industry knowledge is unrivalled and that enables them to consistently deliver cutting edge industry leading innovations”
.. and Baffin Mining Company, in Canada’s extreme environmental conditions …
“ an immensely experienced team that delivers rigorous reports on our entire road haulage system and equipment leading to an increase in our productivity of operation”.
Kevin is a world-class engineering innovator, capable of solving some of the most complex engineering problems to drive productivity gains for clients and a lead designer for some of Smith’s award-winning innovations;
- The “FlatPack” car carrying semi-trailer range which significantly improved both safety and productivity and won several national WH&S and innovation awards, has been described by industry leaders as “the most advanced car carrier design in the world”.
- Australia’s first self-powered dolly for high-speed long-haul mine-ore transport which doubled the productivity in high tonnage mine haulage won Australian Mining Award’s “Best Innovation Solution”
- A road transport solution for bulk haulage of sugar cane from field to processing plant won an “Australian Materials Handling Award”.
- Kevin pioneered the use of FEA in Australian heavy vehicle and developed a widening low-loader design to optimise for strength, weight and fatigue resistance yet efficient to manufacture. These designs were so successful that the core design remained unchanged for over 15 years of production.
- One of Kevin’s greatest legacies is that re-sale values of equipment he designed remains high, with equipment still sought after decades after it was originally manufactured.
Kevin’s skills and achievements don’t stop there……
- – MIEAust – Member of the Institution of Engineers Australia since 1993
- CPEng (Chartered Professional Engineer)
- RPEQ (Registered Professional Engineer Qld)
- Registered RVCS agent – Road Vehicle Certification Systems
- Approved Person – Certification of Heavy Vehicle modification certification – Queensland Transport and Main roads
- HVRAS Officer – Heavy Vehicle Registration Assessments
- NHVR – Registered client administrator on NHVR Portal
- VIS Vehicle Import System – Registered Agent for vehicle import administration.
- Expert in Australian and International standards and design rules
- Expert in Mechanical and structural fields including Hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical control systems.
- Master of root cause analysis and designing practical, efficient technical solutions.
- Specialist in designing for optimum balance between technical improvement and cost effectiveness.
- Inspirational Mentor and Trainer of engineering talent.
- Innovation seminar speaker